Home Contact |

Clondalkin - Chronology

C 5,600 BC
Neolithic settlement between Belgard Road and Ballymount.

400 BC
Celtic tribe Cualann founded kingdom of Cuala.

600 AD
Monastic settlement with Round Tower built.

630
St. Cronan/Mochua 1st Abbot.

784
St. Ferfugaill 1st Bishop died.

832
Monastery plundered by Norsemen, Dun Amhlaeigh fortress built.

865
Fortress burnt by Gaithan of Laois.

1014
Brian Boruma attacked fortress on way to Clontarf.

1071
Village accidentally burned.

1076
Monastery attacked by monks from Tallaght.

1160
Lands belonging to monastery transferred to Archbishop of Dublin by Pope Alexander 111.

1171
Forces of Roderic O'Connor and Earl Strongbow skirmished.

1276
Clondalkin established as a Borough and Robert Beg appointed Bailiff on behalf of Archbishop of Dublin.

1547
"Clondalkin among the walled and good towns of this country." Consisted of five streets: Mill St., Steeple St., New St, Mahon St, and Pope Lane.

1641
A troop of horse from Dublin completely destroyed the village during the rebellion.

1649
St. John's medieval Church closed.

1663
Record of a mill at Fairview.

1733
Explosion at Corkagh Gun Powder Mills.

1756
Work commenced on Grand Canal at 11th Lock.

1779
Grand Canal opened to traffic.

1780
William Caldbeck moved to Moyle Park House.

1782
Moyle Park Gun Powder Mill opened.

1787
Explosion at Moyle Park Mills kills two workers.

1790
St. John's Church opened.

1792
Canal boat 'Huband' capsized at 8th Lock, eleven lives lost.

1810
Girls' school opened by Mrs. Caldbeck.

1813
Mount St. Joseph monastery built by Third Order of Carmelite Brothers. 'Poor or Free' school opened.

1815
St. John's school established by Rev. Dr. Reade.

1833
Biaconi moves headquarters to 'Royal Garter stables' Baldonnel.

1834
Boarding college for boys opened at Mount St. Joseph.

1837
Sally Park Paper Mill opened.

1845
Work commenced on Great Southern & Western Railway at Rourkes farm at Adamstown.

John A. Arabin of Corkagh becomes Lord Mayor of Dublin.

1846
G.S. & W. Railway and Clondalkin station opened.
Michael Stanton of Collinstownb becomes Lord Mayor of Dublin.

1847
Passenger traffic ceased on Grand Canal.

1857
Convent built - Presentation Nuns arrive to open girls school.

1860
Houses built at Convent View, Boot Road.

1861
Katharine Tynan born.

1863
Church of the Immaculate Conception completed.

1867
Cardinal Cullen visits Clondalkin.

1872
Orphanage for vagrant boys opened by Presentation Nuns.

1875
Sally Park Paper Mills closed.

1879
Church Tce. Tower Road built as memorial to Rev. Dr. Reade.

1880
Dublin Paper Company re-opens mills.

1884
Round Tower G.A.A. club founded.

1885
Clondalkin branch of National League founded.

1890
Archway to church on New Road erected to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Fr. Moore.

1898
Dublin Paper Company closes mills.

1899
Mills re-open as Leinster Paper Company.

1900
St. Brigid's cottages 'The Ranch' are built.

1912
Carnegie library opens.

Countess Markievicz holds recruiting meeting for Citizens Army in the village.

1917
Baldonnel aerodrome built for RFC.

Narrow gauge railway from G.S. & W. line to Baldonnel.

1919
Clondalkin Motor Omnibus Company formed by T. Healy, Black Lion House.

Paper Mills supply electricity to Churches, Convent and RIC Station.

1921
Baldonnel Aerodrome handed over to the Irish Army.

1922
Civil war incident on Monastery Road.

1922
Paper mill closed.

1926
Clondalkin Omnibus Company taken over and renamed Irish Omnibus Company.

1928
12th April - Junker W33 'Bremen' made first East/West flight across the Atlantic from Baldonnel to Canada. The crew were Baron Gunter Von Honefeld, Capt. Hermann Koehl and Col. James C. Fitzmaurice.

1932
24th October - First international passenger flight landed Baldonnel. KLM Focker aircraft ex Berlin.

1934
Local Gardai request air search after raid on a shop at Cheeverstown, First ` use of aircraft to aid Civil Power.

1936
27th May - First Aer Lingus passenger flight, Baldonnel to Bristol. De Haviland 84 Dragon 'Iolar'.

Clondalkin Paper Mills re-opens.

Mount St. Joseph Monastery closes.

1937
St. Joseph's Pipe Band founded.

1938
16th July' - 'Wrong Way' Corrigan lands at Baldonnel.

1939
Tower cinema opens.

1940
78th Troop CBSI holds first investiture.

Army takes over Mount St. Joseph Monastery.

1946
Little Sisters of the Assumption move into Mount St. Joseph's.

1947
Clondalkin railway station closes.

1950
Scoile Mhuire built.

1955
Part of Parish moved to new Parish of Chapelizod.

Mayfair ballroom opened.

1957
Marist Brothers open Moyle Park Boy's Secondary College.

1960
Cargo traffic ceased on Grand Canal.

27th July - Baldonnel: Departure of 32nd Inf. Bat. To Congo on Lockheed Hercules of 322nd Air Division USAF.

1961
Part of Parish transferred to new Lucan Parish.

St. Joseph's Boy's School moves to Boot Road.

1962
Clondalkin Credit Union founded.

1963
St. John's National School moves into new premises.

1964
Community Council founded.

1965
28th February - Aer Lingus Focker Friendship lands at Baldonnel with remains of Sir Roger Casement.

2nd March - Baldonnel renamed Casement Aerodrome.

1968
Coláiste Cronáin Vocational school opens.

1969
Scoil Áine & Scoil Íde open as first vertical schools.

1970
Coliste Bríd Girl's Secondary College opens.

1971
Dr. Dermot Ryan appointed Archbishop of Dublin.

1972
Muintir Cronáin founded.

1977
Bawnogue Parish formed.

1978
Clonburris Church/School opened.

1979
Neilstown and Rowlagh Parishes formed.

1980
Paper Mill closed.

1981
Coliste Chillian Irish Secondary College opens.

1983
Paper Mill purchased by Government.

1984
Shruleen School opens.

Vocational school moves to Nangor Road.

Death of Dr. Dermot Ryan.

1985
Deansrath Parish formed.

1986
Coliste Chillian vocational school moves to Nangor Road as a Community College and moves to Deansrath.

Corkagh Regional Park opens.

Clondalkin Youth Band founded.

1987
Paper Mill finally closed.

1988
Shruleen Church opens.

Jehovah Witness Kingdom Hall built.

1988
Monksfield Church opens.

1990
Western Parkway opens.

1994
Clondalkin Railway Station re-opens.

Mill Shopping Centre opens.

Sally Park Mill destroyed.

St. Brigid's Well is refurbished. By South Dublin County Council

(This Chronology is carried here courtesy of Joe Williams, Local Historian)