Home Contact |

Rathfarnham - Resources

Triumphal Arch

Triumphal Arch, Lower Dodder Road, also known as Lord Ely's Gate, was once the main entrance to Rathfarnham Castle demesne

Motte and Bailey

Motte and Bailey, Rathfarnham c. 1977.

Rathfarnham Castle

Rathfarnham Castle in 1977

Archbishop Loftus

Archbishop Loftus was granted the lands of Rathfarnham in 1583.

Gateway to Rathfarnham Demesne

Remaining portion of the gateway to Rathfarnham Demesne which opened on to the Main Street.

Butterfield Lane

Butterfield Lane, now Butterfield Avenue as it was in 1903.

Entrance to graveyard.

Entrance to graveyard, Main Street Rathfarnham.

Ruins of church

Ruins of church, Rathfarnham Graveyard

New Church

Church of Ireland, Main Street, Rathfarnham

Old Orchard House

Old Orchard House, Butterfield Avenue

Butterfield House

Butterfield House, Butterfield Avenue

Washington Lodge

Washington Lodge, Butterfield Avenue

St. Enda's, formerly Hermitage

St. Enda's, formerly known as Hermitage is the home of the Pearse Museum. This photograph was taken while renovations were in progress after its handover to the State in 1968.

Rathfarnham House

Rathfarnham House now lies at the centre of the Loreto Abbey group of buildings

Bloomfield

Bloomfield c. 1960.

Fairbrook

Fairbrook c. 1960.

Glenbrook House

Glenbrook House, c. 1960.

Silveracre

Silveracre in 1977.

Brookvale

Brookvale, formerly known as Ashfield is an 18th Century Glebe House.

Priory

Priory was the home of John Philpot Curran and his family

Mill Ruin

Remains of mill walls c. 1977.

Dodder Bridge

Dodder Bridge, Rathfarnham in the early 1900s. In 1952, the bridge was renamed in honour of the Pearse Brothers.

Memorial plaque, Pearse Bridge

Memorial plaque, Pearse Bridge, Rathfarnham.

Church of the Annunciation

Church of the Annunciation

Ancient font

Ancient font near the door of the Church of the Annunciation

The Yellow House

The Yellow House, c. 1977.

Loreto Abbey

Loreto Abbey

16A bus

16A bus leaves Rathfarnham for Nutgrove Avenue. The 16 tram, its predecessor, served Rathfarnham

AIB Bank

The AIB Bank building is built on the site of the Rathfarnham RIC Barracks, destroyed in 1922.

Boys' School

Former Boys' School. Established in January 1842.

Statue of Anne Devlin

Statue of Anne Devlin. Stands at the end of the Main Street of Rathfarnham looking in the direction of Butterfield Avenue. Unveiled on the 4th of March 2004

Court of Petty Sessions

This example dates back to 1912. The Courts of Petty Sessions were forerunners of our modern day District Courts

18th Century Doorway

Blocked up doorway of an early eighteenth century type, Church Lane.

Former entrance to Rathfarnham Castle

Portion of the former entrance, with gate lodge, to the castle. Main Street.

Woodview Cottages

 The cottages are built partly on the site of an old paper mill

Fields near the bridge

This site was formerly occupied by a mill pond and extensive mill buildings.

Nutgrove House

St. Bridget's Parochial House

Described by the historian D 'Alton as a "cruciform edifice with galleries disproportionately low"

Former entrance to Beaufort House

The fine carved granite pillars of the former entrance to Beaufort House now flank the pedestrian entrance to Beaufort Downs estate.

Riversdale

Riversdale was the last home of W. B. Yeats in Ireland.

Willbrook Village Main Street

A quiet retreat lying between two busy thoroughfares, it has seen few changes in the last hundred years.

Woodview Cottages

Woodview cottages which can be seen from the brow of Church Lane are built partly on the site of an old paper mill.

Beaufort House

Beaufort House, Grange Road, is now the headquarters of the Loreto Order in Ireland. On the grounds is Loreto High School Beaufort, which was founded in 1925.

Willbrook

Former site of Brooklawn Mill