Tallaght - Bibliography
An Act for cleansing and repairing the Water-Course leading from the river
Dodeer and to prevent the diverting and corrupting the water therein.
Dublin, King’s Arms, Copper Alley: printed by Andrew Cooke, printer to the
King’s Most Excellent Majesty, 1719.
Andrews, J. H. Irish maps. Dublin: Eason and Son Ltd., 1978.
Anonymous. "The mills on the Dodder and the City Watercourse."
Dublin Historical Record 12 (1950): 93-95.
Archer, Joseph. Statistical survey of the county Dublin with observations on the means of improvement drawn up for the consideration and by order of The Dublin Society. Dublin: printed by Graisberry and Campbell, 1801.
Atkins, John Black. The life of Sir William Howard Russell C.V.O, L.L.D the first special correspondent. 2 vols.London: John Murray, 1911.
Ball, Francis Elrington. A history of the county Dublin. Vol III.
Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1979. (6 vols., reproduced by photo lithography from the 1st. impression of 1902).
Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/balllist.htm 19th July 2011.
Beranger, Gabriel. The Archiepiscopal Palace, at Tallagh 4 M from Dublin.
[Graphic] G:B: delt: 1771.National Library of Ireland Collection, 1958 TX 3.
Beranger, Gabriel. A Collection of drawings of the principal buildings of Ireland designed on the spot and collected by Gabriel Beranger. Text by Peter Harbison. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1991.
Beranger, Gabriel. Drawings of the principal antique buildings of Ireland. Ed. Peter Harbison. Dublin: Four Courts Press in association with the National Library of Ireland, 1998.
Beranger, Gabriel. Timmond Castle, near ye: Greenhills, 3 M:
from Dublin. [Graphic] G:B:. Delt: 1763. National Library of Ireland Collection, 1958 TX 11.
Beranger, Gabriel. Timond Castle. [Graphic] GL. Beranger. Delt 1779.
National Library of Ireland Collection, 2109 TX 1(A).
Brewer, J. N.. The beauties of Ireland, being original delineations topographical, historical, and biographical, of each county, by J. N. Brewer, illustrated with engravings, by J. and H. S. Storer, after original drawings, chiefly by Mr. Petrie. Dublin, London: Sherwood Jones & Co, 1825-6.
Cobbe Estate papers in the National Library of Ireland. (microfilm) P. 4033.
D'Alton, John. The history of county Dublin. Cork: Tower Books, 1976. (Originally published Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1838).
Available:http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Dalton/daltindex.htm 19th July 2011
Dix, E.R.McC. "Some antiquities on Tallaght Hill." Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 55 (1925): 126-129.
Dúchas, the Heritage Service. Record of monuments and places protected under section 12 of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1994, county of Fingal, Dublin County Borough, county of South Dublin, county of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. [Maps and 1 book] Dublin: Dúchas, the Heritage Service, 1998.
Duncan, William. Maps of the county of Dublin. Dublin: William Duncan, 1821.
"The Fenian insurrection in Ireland." The Illustrated London News 16 March 1867: 261, 262, 264.
Fitzgerald, Lord Walter. "Tallaght in the County Dublin." Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society 5 (1906): 17-36.
Fitzpatrick, W. J.. The life of Charles Lever. 2 vols. London: Chapman and Hall, 1879.
Fitzachary, John Christopher. The Dodder its history traditions and associations. Dublin 1901.
Grose, Daniel. Timon Castle Co. Dublin. [Graphic] London: J. Hooper, 1791.
Gwynn, E. J. &W. J Purton: "The monastery of Tallaght."
Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 29 Section C (1911): 115-179.
Handcock, William Domville. The history and antiquities of Tallaght in the county of Dublin. 2nd ed. revised and enlarged. Dublin: Hodges Figgis, 1899. Facsimile edition. Cork: Tower Books, 1976. Facsimile edition. Dublin: Anna Livia Press, 1991. Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/Ball3/ball3.1.htm 19th July 2011
Henderson, W. A.. "Sunday walks, Firhouse to Glenasmole." Saturday Herald 27th Mar 1925: 6.
Holt, Joseph. Memoirs of Joseph Holt general of the Irish rebels in 1798 ed. from his original manuscript of Sir William Betham by T. Crofton Croker. London: H. Colburn, 1838.
Irish Manuscripts Commission. A census of Ireland circa 1659, with supplementary material from the Poll Money Ordinances (1660-1661). ed. Séamus Pender. Dublin: Stationary Office, 1939.
Joyce, Weston St. John. The neighbourhood of Dublin. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1977. (originally published, 1912, text is a photographic reproduction of the 1939 edition. Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Neighbourhood/chapter19.html 19th July 2011
Joyce, Weston St. John. Rambles near Dublin. 2nd ed. Dublin: Evening Telegraph Office, 1890.
Kavanagh, Jordan. The story of Tallaght. Naas: printed by the Leinster Leader Ltd., 1956.
Kavanagh, Rhoda. "The encrusted urn in Ireland."Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 73 Section C (1973): 507-617.
Kearns, C. J.. "A hundred years of Tallaght." The Watchman 23 no. 4 (1956). (The Watchman was the twice-yearly Dominican students ’magazine. )
Kearns, C. J. Tallaght, its story in word and picture, one hundred years of Tallaght. Dublin: printed by Regent Printing, 1958.
Kenny, S. A.. Historical Kilnamanagh and district. Dublin: S. A. Kenny, 1975.
Leask, H. G.: "House at Oldbawn Co. Dublin." Journal of The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 43 (1913): 314-325.
Leask, Harold G.. Irish castles and castellated houses. Dundalk: Dundalgan Press (W. Tempest)Ltd., 1964.
Lewis, Samuel A topographical dictionary of Ireland, comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate, market, and post towns, parishes, and villages, with historical and statistical descriptions ... 2 vols. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837.
Little, George A..Malachi Horan remembers. Dublin: M. H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1943.
Longfield T. H. "Note on some cinerary urns found at Tallaght."
Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 18 Section C (1892): 400-401.
Mallet, Robert. River Dodder district report to the commissioners on the proposed formation of reservoirs on the river Dodder for the prevention of sudden floods and an accumulation of water for the constant supply of mills on that river and on the water-courses. H. M. S. O, 1844.
Maxwell, W. H. History of the Irish rebellion in 1798; with memoirs of the Union and Emmett's insurrection in 1803. London: George Bell and Sons, 1887.
Morris, Henry: "The Slighe Cualann." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 68 (1938): 113-123.
Morris, Henry: "Where was Bruidhean Dá Derga?" Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 65 (1935): 297-312. Newcomen, Robert. The Lordship of Tallagh latlie belonginge to the Bishope
of Dublin. C. 1654. [Map ]. This map is held in The Representative Church Body Library, Braemor Park, Churchtown, Dublin 14. For further information consult Refaussé below.
Ordnance Survey letters Dublin (letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the County of Dublin collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1837).
Ed. Michael Herity. Dublin: Four Masters Press, 2001.
Ordnance Survey. Name books, Parish of Tallaght, Co. Dublin.
Held in the National Archives of Ireland, Bishop Street, Dublin 8.
Ordnance Survey. Memorandums, Co. Dublin. Held in the National Archives of Ireland, Bishop Street, Dublin 8.
Ordnance Survey. Parish of Rathfarnham Co. Dublin Sheet XXII 6.
(Templeogue Village, east). 1: 2, 500. Surveyed in 1864 by Captain Martin R. E. and zincographed in 1865 under the direction of Captain Wilkinson R. E. at the Ordnance Survey Office, Phoenix Park.
Ordnance Survey. Parish of Tallaght Co. Dublin Sheet XXI 12.
(Tallaght Village, west). 1: 2, 500. Surveyed in 1864 by Captain Martin R. E. and zincographed in 1865 under the direction of Captain Wilkinson R. E. at the Ordnance Survey Office, Phoenix Park. (Publication details based on information on Sheet XII 6).
Ordnance Survey. Parish of Tallaght Co. Dublin Sheet XXII 6.
(Templeogue Village, west). 1:2, 500. Surveyed in 1864 by Captain Martin R. E. and zincographed in 1865 under the direction of Captain Wilkinson R. E. at the Ordnance Survey Office, Phoenix Park.
Ordnance Survey. Parish of Tallaght Co. Dublin Sheet XXII 9.
(Tallaght Village, east). 1: 2, 500. Surveyed in 1864 by Captain Martin R. E. and zincographed in 1865 under the direction of Captain Wilkinson R. E. at the Ordnance Survey Office, Phoenix Park. (Publication details based on information on Sheet XII 6).
Petrie, George. Remains of Timon Castle Co. of Dublin.
[Graphic ] London: Longman & Co., Paternoster Row, 1819.
Petrie, George. Terenure [House ];Co. Dublin the seat of Frederick Bourne Esq. re to whom this plate is respectfully inscribed.
[Graphic ] London: Fisher, Son & Co., 1829.
Petty, William. Hiberniae Delineatio: atlas of Ireland. Newcastle upon Tyne: Frank Graham,
1968. (original maps drawn c. 1660, engraved c. 1663, published 1685, based on the Down Survey maps).
Plunkett R. E."On a cist and urns found at Greenhills Tallaght Co. Dublin."
Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 21 Section C (1899): 338-347.
Price, Liam, "The antiquities and place names of south county Dublin."
Dublin Historical Record 2 (1940): 121-133.
Price Liam"The Manor of Bathercolyn."
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 74 (1944): 107-118.
Read, Charles Anderson. The cabinet of Irish literature: selections from the works of the chief poets, orators and prose writers of Irelands. 4 vols. New ed. revised and greatly extended by Katharine Tynan Hinkson.
London: Gresham Publishing, 1902-5.
Refaussé, Raymond and Mary Clarke. A catalogue of the maps of the estates of the Archbishops of Dublin 1654-1850. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2000.
[Rocque, John ]. The A to Z of Georgian Dublin: John Rocque's maps of the city in 1756 and the county in 1760. Ed. Paul Ferguson. Lympne Castle, Kent: Harry Margary in association with Trinity College Library Dublin, 1998.
Rocque, John. An actual survey of the county of Dublin on the same scale as those of Middlesex, Oxford, Barks and Buckinghamshire by John Rocque.
Scantlebury, C.. "Tallaght Co. Dublin – its monastery and its castle".
Dublin Historical Record 16: 65-71.
St. Maelruain ’s Church Tallaght 1829-1979. Dublin: St. Maelruain’s Church, 1979."Skeleton find starts study of history."
Evening Press 1st Oct. 1968: 5.
Taylor, George and Andrew Skinner. Maps of the roads of Ireland.
Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969. (originally published 1778, second edition 1783).
Taylor, John. Taylor's map of the environs of Dublin extending 10 to 14 miles from the castle, by actual survey, on a scale of 2 inches to one mile.
Dublin: Phoenix Maps, 1989. (single sheet facsimile of the two sheet edition of 1816).
Thom's Irish almanac and official directory for the year 1844. Dublin: Alexander Thom, 1844.
To His Grace Euseby Lord Archbishop of Dublin &c &c this view of the antient archiepiscopal Palace of Tallaght in the County of Dublin is inscribed by his Lordships very obliged &very humble servant.
[Graphic ] drawn by C. V. Fielding from a sketch by P. Byrne, engraved by S. Lacey. (marked "Proof"). Dublin: printed for the author, 1818.
Ua Broin, Liam."Clondalkin, Co. Dublin, and its neighbourhood."
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 74 (1944): 191-218.
Waddell, John: "Irish Bronze Age cists: a survey." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 100 (1970): 91-139.
Further information on Tallaght is available at http://www.askaboutireland.ie