Home Contact |

Clondalkin - Resources

Clondalkin Library

An original Carnegie Library which opened in 1912.

Clondalkin Round Tower

Clondalkin Round Tower is 27.5M high and is complete, still having its original cap. With a circumferences of 12.7M above the buttress, it is the most slender of all Round Towers.

Clondalkin Round Tower (1833)

Clondalkin Round Tower, taken from the Dublin Penny Journal of Septermber 7th 1833.

Fairview Mill or Clondalkin Oil Mill

Fairview Mill or Clondalkin Oil Mill, produced linseed oil and linseed cake. It was powered by the Camac River.

Font in the grounds of St. John's Church

This is most likely a baptismal font and is carved from a granite erratic.

Katharine Tynan

Poet and writer lived at Whitehall.

Millstones from Fairview Mills

Mount St. Joseph Monastery, Clondalkin

Built by the Third Order of Carmelite Brothers in 1813 The brothers opened a 'Poor or Free' school there.

Newlands House

Was once the home of Lord Kilwarded.

Newlands House

From Ball's History of the County Dublin.

The Round Tower

With St John's Church in the background. Taken from an old postcard. Clondalkin Round Tower was probably built around 790 A.D.

School and Church Cottages, Clondalkin

St. Bridget's Well in 1977

The well was restored by South Dublin County Council in 1995.

Stone Cross

Stone Cross in the the grounds of St. John's Church.This largeplain granite cross in the graveyard is possibly a boundary cross for the Barony of Uppercross, of which Clondalkin is a part. Similar crosses are to be found in other graveyards in the area.

Stone Cross (smaller)

Stone Cross in the the grounds of St. John's Church.This largeplain granite cross in the graveyard is possibly a boundary cross for the Barony of Uppercross, of which Clondalkin is a part. Similar crosses are to be found in other graveyards in the area.

Tully's Castle

Narrow 16th century tower which has crenellations and has a later lean-to building attached.

Whitehall in the early 1900s

Was the home of poet and writer Katharine Tynan.

St. Cronán

In the late 6th Century, St. Mochua or Crónán founded the monastery of Clondalkin. An ancient tradition seems to have prevailed that he was elected a Bishop at Clondalkin. St Mochua's influence spread from Clondalkin into neighbouring areas in Co. Kildare. The image above is a drawing of St. Mochua's well at Celbridge.

St. John's Church

The current St. John's Church is on the site of St. Mochua's monastery.

Orchard Road

Orchard Road follows the line of the fosse of the monastery of Condalkin. The gardens of the houses are above the road level as they incorporate the fosse.

Rough Calp Limestone

Cut stone is not a feature of Clondalkin Round Tower, rather it is constructed of rough calp limestone as shown by this close up of the wall of the tower.

Leinster Granite Erratics

The door and window openings of the tower are framed with granite erratics. Erratics are boulders and other rock fragments transported by glacial ice from their place of origin to an area where the bedrock is different. In the Clondalkin area limestone is the bedrock.

Buttress

The added buttress at the base of the tower can be clearly distinguished in this photograph.

St. John's Church 1792

This print shows St. John's Church in 1792. This church had been opened in 1789 and was restored in 1834 to give the church we see today.

Medieval Church

This print shows Clondalkin Church around 1770. This church was demolished in 1787. The ruins of an earlier church can also be seen on the site.

Column of Stonework in Churchyard

This column is all that remains of the earlier Church of Clondalkin.

Larger Granite Cross

This larger cross may be a burial marker or may have served as a barony boundary marker.

Smaller Carved Cross

This smaller cross is decorated with a ringed cross in relief on one face and a Latin cross in relief on the other.

Large Baptismal Font

This large baptismal font in the grounds of St. John's Church is carved from a granite erratic.

Catholic Priests' Gravestones

An interesting feature of St. John's graveyard is the presence of the gravestones of two Catholic Priests along the back wall.

Church of The immaculate Conception

Church Organ

This organ was installed by Messers Telford and first played on 12th May 1867.

Áras Crónáin

Orchard House now serves as home to Áras Crónáin.

Entrance to Templeogue Lodge

Entrance Gates, Templeogue Lodge.

Milestone

Milestone beside the Old Coach House

Former Oil Mill

Former Oil Mill, Palmerstown.

arch

Archway leading to the Church of the Immaculate Conception

Blip Sculpture

Blip by Corban Walker

Priests' Graves

Catholic Priests' Graves, St. John's graveyard

Round Tower

Clondalkin Round Tower

Mill Shopping Centre

The Mill Centre stands on the site of the former Clondalkin Paper Mills.

Church Terrace

Church Terrace

Corkagh Park

Aerial view of Corkagh Park

Stained Glass Windows

Stained glass window over the High Altar

Presentation Convent

Presentation Convent

Áras Chrónán

Áras Chrónán - Formerly Orchard House

South Dublin County Council Civic Centre

South Dublin County Council Civic Centre. "Blip" in foreground.

Former RIC Barracks.

Former RIC Barracks.

Baptismal Font

Baptismal Font

Rathfarnham Garda Station

Rathfarnham Garda Station blown up by the IRA 1922.
© Chapman Livingston Collection, LIV 31, Irish Picture Library, 69b Heather Road, Sandyford industrial Estate, Dublin 18, phone 01 2950799.
  

Electric tram, Lower Main Street.

Electric tram at Lower Main Street Rathfarnham in the early 1900s

Sexton's House and Cottage

Two beautiful 19th century cottages are located next to the gate of St. Maelruain’s Church. The one nearest the gate is the church sexton’s house and the other is the old Girls’ School.