Newcastle - Chronology
500s Monastery founded by St Finian.
1160s Prior to the Norman invasion the townland had the name of Lymerhin and was the land of Mac Giolla Mo-Cholmóc.
Twelfth century Following the Norman Invasion the first of at least six castles, which gave the area its name of Newcastle, or Newcastle Lyons, is built. This earthen motte is still to be found close to the local Church of Ireland church. Mac Giolla Mo-Cholmóc loses a significant portion of his land, with the remainder regranted to him.
1207 King John grants to John and Roderic, sons of Mac Giolla Mo-Cholmóc, the lands held by their father.
1215 A final portion, the townland of Kilmactalway, held by Dermot, son of John, Mac Giolla Mo-Cholmóc, is taken and added by the Crown to the Manor of Newcastle.
1235 Henry III orders his justiciar to lease the manor of Newcastle for the highest possible rent. Corns, oxhides, wool, sheepskin, cheese are the products of the manor.
1308 One of the earliest mentions of football as a spectator sport occurs with one John McCrocan charged the accidental stabbing of a player, William Bernard, during a match held in Newcastle.
Sixteenth century The Earl of Kildare held the barony of the crown, and it was garrisoned after the rebellion of Silken Thomas.
1608 One James Hamilton is given authority to hold a market on Thursday and fairs on the Feasts of St Swithins' and All Saints.
1612 James I grants Newcastle the status of a borough, which returns two MPs to the Irish Parliament, and creates a corporation of a portreeve and twelve free burgesses with the power to appoint officers who could operate a court.
1641 The army of the Confederation of Kilkenny makes Newcastle its headquarters.
1801 The 'pocket borough' of Newcastle Lyons is abolished with the Act of Union after which the towns goes into steep decline.
1830s The Catholic Church of St Finian is built following the easing of the Penal Laws.
1912 Peamount Hospital was founded as a Tubercolosis Hospital by the Women's National Health Association.
1962-63 Peamount Hospital ceases to be a sanitorium as TB no longer was a significant threat to public health and instead starts to provide care for the intellectually disabled.