Rathfarnham - Bibliography
An Act for cleansing and repairing the Water-Course leading from the river Dodeer and to prevent the diverting and corrupting the water therein.
Dublin, King’s Arms, Copper Alley: printed by Andrew Cooke, printer to the
King’s Most Excellent Majesty, 1719.
Anonymous. "Guide to antiquities in the Dublin District." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 44 (1914) 223-296.
Anonymous. "The mills on the Dodder and the City Watercourse."
Dublin Historical Record 12 (1950): 93-95.
Archer, Joseph. Statistical survey of the county Dublin with observations on the means of improvement drawn up for the consideration and by order of The Dublin Society. Dublin: printed by Graisberry and Campbell, 1801.
Ball, Francis Elrington.A history of the county Dublin. Vol II. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1979. (6 vols, reproduced by photo lithography from the 1st. impression of 1902). Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/balllist.htm accessed 20th July 2011.
Boate, Gerard.Ireland's naturall history. Being a true and ample description of its situation, greatness, shape, and nature; . . . London: for John Wright at the Kings Head in the Old Bayley, 1652.
Boylan, Lena. "Robert Emmet's House at Rathfarnham."
Dublin Historical Record 31 (1977-1978): 55-58. (Pictures 6 and 7 between pages 60 and 61 relate to this article).
Beranger, Gabriel. Drawings of the principal antique buildings of Ireland. Ed. Peter Harbison. Dublin: Four Courts Press in association with the National Library of Ireland, 1998.
Breen, T.C. "A pre-Norman grave-slab at Rathfarnham, County Dublin."
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 111 (1981): 120-123.
Cooper, Austin. An eighteenth century antiquary; the sketches, notes and diaries of Austin Cooper (1759-1830). Printed by direction of his great grandson, Albert Damer Cooper. Ed. Liam Price, M.R.I.A. Dublin: J. Falconer, 1942.
D'Alton, John. The history of county Dublin. Cork: Tower Books, 1976. (Originally published Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1838). Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Dalton/daltindex.htm accessed 20th July 2011.
Dúchas, the Heritage Service. Record of monuments and places protected under section 12 of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1994, county of Fingal, Dublin County Borough, county of South Dublin, county of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. [Maps and 1 book] Dublin: Dúchas, the Heritage Service, 1998.
Duncan, William. Maps of the county of Dublin. Dublin: William Duncan, 1821.
Farrington, A. "The prehistoric burial cairn on Tibradden Mountain, Co. Dublin." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 53 (1933): 252-254.
Fitzachary, John Christopher. The Dodder its history traditions and associations. Dublin 1901.
Fleetwood, John. The Irish body snatchers, a history of body snatching in Ireland. Dublin: Tomar, 1988.
"Fleetwood, John. (Dr.) "The Dublin body snatchers." (part 1). Dublin Historical Record 42 (1988-1989): 32- 40.
"Fleetwood, John. (Dr.) "The Dublin body snatchers." (part 2).
Dublin Historical Record 42 (1988-1989): 42-52.
Frizell, Richard. A map of Rathfarnham Park in the County of Dublin for the Right Honourable Henry Earl of Ely containing 213.3.33 plantation measure laid down by a scale of 10 perches in one inch in October 1779.
Richard Frizell, 1779. (This manuscript map belongs to the National Library, call number 16 G 40 (20)).
Hamilton, G.E. "Rockbrook, Co. Dublin: its name." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 41 (1911): 182-183.
Hammond, Joseph W. "Behind the scenes of the Emmet insurrection". (part 1) Dublin Historical Record 6 (1943-44): 91-106.
Hammond, Joseph W. "The Emmet insurrection". (part 1)
Dublin Historical Record 9 (1943-44): 153-154.
Hammond, Joseph W. "Behind the scenes of the Emmet insurrection". (part 1) Dublin Historical Record 6 (1946-48): 21-28.
Hammond, Joseph W."Behind the scenes of the Emmet insurrection". (part 2)Dublin Historical Record 6 (1946-48): 59-68.
Hammond, Joseph W. "Behind the scenes of the Emmet insurrection". (part 3) Dublin Historical Record 6 (1946-48): 84-89.
Hammond, Joseph W. "The King's Printers in Ireland, 1551-1919." (part 1).
Dublin Historical Record 11 (1949-50): 29-31.
Hammond, Joseph W. "The King's Printers in Ireland, 1551-1919." (part 2).
Dublin Historical Record 11 (1949-50): 58-64.
Hammond, Joseph W. "The King's Printers in Ireland, 1551-1919." (part 3).
Dublin Historical Record 11 (1949-50): 88-96.
Handcock, William Domville. The history and antiquities of Tallaght in the county of Dublin. 2nd ed. revised and enlarged. Dublin: Hodges Figgis, 1899. Facsimile edition. Cork: Tower Books, 1976. Facsimile edition. Dublin: Anna Livia Press, 1991. Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Handcock/tallaghtindex.htm accessed 19th July 2011.
Henderson, W. A.. "Sunday walks, Firhouse to Glenasmole." Saturday Herald 27th Mar 1925: 6.
Holt, Joseph. Memoirs of Joseph Holt general of the Irish rebels in 1798 ed. from his original manuscript of Sir William Betham by T. Crofton Croker. London: H. Colburn, 1838.
Irish Manuscripts Commission. A census of Ireland circa 1659, with supplementary material from the Poll Money Ordinances (1660-1661). ed. Séamus Pender. Dublin: Stationary Office, 1939.
Joyce, Weston St. John. The neighbourhood of Dublin. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, 1977. (originally published, 1912, text is a photographic reproduction of the 1939 edition.)Available: http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Neighbourhood/contents.html, accessed 19th July 2011.
Joyce, Weston St. John. Rambles near Dublin. 2nd ed. Dublin: Evening Telegraph Office, 1890.
Kilbride-Jones, H.E. "The excavation of an unrecorded Megalithic tomb on Kilmashogue Mountain, Co. Dublin." Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 56 Section C (1953-1954): 461-479
Lewis, Samuel A topographical dictionary of Ireland, comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate, market, and post towns, parishes, and villages, with historical and statistical descriptions .
2 vols. London: S. Lewis &Co. 1837.
Madden, R. R. The Life and Times of Robert Emmet, with numerous notes and additions, also a memoir of Thomas Addis Emmet.
New York, P.M. Haverty, 1868.
Little, George A.. Malachi Horan remembers. Dublin: M. H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1943.
Mallet, Robert. River Dodder district report to the commissioners on the proposed formation of reservoirs on the river Dodder for the prevention of sudden floods and an accumulation of water for the constant supply of mills on that river and on the water-courses. H. M. S. O, 1844.
Maxwell, W. H. History of the Irish rebellion in 1798; with memoirs of the Union and Emmett's insurrection in 1803. London: George Bell and Sons, 1887.
McMahon, Fr. T. S.J. "Old Rathfarnham days." Dublin Historical Record 41 (1987-1988): 21-23.
Morris, Henry: "The Slighe Cualann."Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 68 (1938): 113-123.
Ó h-Éailidhe, P. "Early Christian grave slabs in the Dublin region".
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 103 (1973): 51-64.
Ó hÉailidhe, P. "The Rathdown slabs." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 87 (1957): 75-88.
Ó hÉailidhe, P. "An unrecorded wedge-tomb at Killakee, County Dublin."
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 108 (1978): 101-103.
O hÉailidhe, P. "Three unrecorded early grave-slabs in county Dublin."
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 112 (1982): 139-141.
Ó hÉailidhe, P. and Ellen Prendergast. "Two unrecorded graveslabs in County Dublin". Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 107 (1982): 139-142.
Ó Ríordáin, Seán P. and Ruaidhrí de Valera. "Excavation of a megalithic tomb at Ballyedmonduff, Co. Dublin".Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 55 (1952-53), Section C: 61-81.
Ordnance Survey. Fair Plan Rathfarnham Parish Co. Dublin (1837).
Held at the National Archives. Reference No. OS 105E/279
Ordnance Survey letters Dublin (letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the County of Dublin collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1837). Ed. Michael Herity. Dublin: Four Masters Press, 2001.
Ordnance Survey. Name books, Parish of Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin.
Held in the National Archives of Ireland, Bishop Street, Dublin 8.
Ordnance Survey. Memorandums, Co. Dublin.
Held in the National Archives of Ireland, Bishop Street, Dublin 8.
Ordnance Survey. Parish of Rathfarnham Co. Dublin. 1:2,500.
Surveyed in 1864 by Captain Martin R. E. and zincographed in 1865 under the direction of Captain Wilkinson R. E. at the Ordnance Survey Office, Phoenix Park.
Pearse, P.H. The Story of a success, being a record of St. Enda's College September 1908 to Easter 1916.Ed. Desmond Ryan.
Dublin: Maunsel & Co., 1917.
Petty, William. Hiberniae Delineatio: atlas of Ireland. Newcastle upon Tyne: Frank Graham, 1968. (original maps drawn c. 1660, engraved c. 1663, published 1685, based on the Down Survey maps).
Poe, J.W. The cromlechs of county Dublin.Dublin: Carraig Books, 1979.
Originally published Dublin: Sealy, Bryers .
Porter, Frank Thorpe. Gleanings and reminiscences. Dublin: Hodges, Foster & Co., 1875.
Price, L. "Boranaraltry, Co. Dublin." Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 70 (1940): 62.
Price, Liam, "The antiquities and place names of south county Dublin."
Dublin Historical Record 2 (1940): 121-133.
Refaussé, Raymond and Mary Clarke. A catalogue of the maps of the estates of the Archbishops of Dublin 1654-1850. Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2000.
Redmond, M."A promontory fort at Rathfarnham, County Dublin."
Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 127 (1997): 125-126.
Reynolds, J. J. Footprints of Emmet. Dublin: M.H. Gill & Son, 1903.
[Rocque, John ]. The A to Z of Georgian Dublin: John Rocque's maps of the city in 1756 and the county in 1760. Ed. Paul Ferguson. Lympne Castle, Kent: Harry Margary in association with Trinity College Library Dublin, 1998.
Rocque, John. An actual survey of the county of Dublin on the same scale as those of Middlesex, Oxford, Barks and Buckinghamshire by John Rocque.
(4 sheets) 1760.
Scantlebury, Rev. C. S.J. "Rathfarnham Castle." Dublin Historical Record 12 (1950-1951): 20-30.
Taylor, George and Andrew Skinner. Maps of the roads of Ireland. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969. (originally published 1778, second edition 1783).
Taylor, John. Taylor's map of the environs of Dublin extending 10 to 14 miles from the castle, by actual survey, on a scale of 2 inches to one mile.
Dublin: Phoenix Maps, 1989. (single sheet facsimile of the two sheet edition of 1816).
Thom's Irish almanac and official directory for the year 1844. Dublin: Alexander Thom, 1844.
Turner, Kathleen. If you seek monuments, a guide to the antiquities of the
barony of Rathdown. 2nd ed. Shankill, Co Dublin: Rathmichael Historical Society, 1984.
Further information on Rathfarnham is available at http://www.askaboutireland.ie