Home Contact |

Tallaght - Chronology

769
St. Maelruain’s Monastery founded

792
Death of St. Maelruain

811
St. Maelruain’s Monastery devastated by the Vikings

1179
Tallaght and its appurtenances confirmed to the See of Dublin

1310
Bailiffs of Tallaght given royal grant to enclose the town

1324
Building commenced on Tallaght Castle

1331/2
Tallaght Castle plundered by O’Toole of Imaile

1378
Mathew son of Redmond de Bermingham took up station at Tallaght castle to resist the O’ Byrnes

1540
O’ Toole’s invaded and devastated Tallaght Castle & surrounding manors

1635
Old Bawn House built

1729
Tallaght Castle Demolished

1729
Archbishop’s Palace built by Archbishop Hoadley

1822
Archbishop’s Palace demolished by Major Palmer, who then built Tallaght House

1829
Parish Church of Ireland built

1856
Tallaght House sold to Dominicans

1864
St. Mary’s Priory built

1867
Battle of Tallaght

1883
New Priory Church built

1888
Dublin to Blessington Steam Tramway commences operations, passing through Tallaght Village

1932
On 31st December, The Dublin to Blessington Steam Tram ran for the last time.

1955
New retreat house built at Priory, enclosing Tallaght House

1992
Institute of Technology, Tallaght opened.

1994
South Dublin County Council comes into existence. Its headquarters are at Tallaght. On 14th December the County Library is officially opened.

1995
The County Library opens for lending and for a wide range of library activities.

1999
Civic Theatre opens.

2004
Luas Red Line opened, running from Tallaght to Connolly Station.