Templeogue - Chronology
1273 A church is constructed here to replace Kilsantan church which had become inaccessible due the deteriorating security of the Lordship of Ireland. This new church dedicated to St Mel or Melog, provides the meaning of the Irish translation of Templeogue: 'Teach Mealóg.'
Lands at Templeogue occupied by the Harold family of Harold's Cross
Templeogue was the site of the castle of Richard Talbot who was second Justice of the Common Bench. He was responsible for the upkeep of the watercourse which ran through his land and supplied water to Dublin at the time.
1615 Templeogue Church was reportedly in ruins by this time.
1655 Theobald Harold was the steward of the town; there was a castle in good repair; a tuck mill; a house out of repair; some cottages - a total of 40 people. Henry Talbot was ordered to transplant to Connacht.
In 1686 the lands of Templeogue were leased by Sir James Talbot to Sir Thomas Domville. Domville subsequently gained full possession of the land following the attainting of Talbot for having been a supporter of King James in the war of 1688. Domville erected a large brick house on the site of Richard Talbot's earlier castle making use of the two towers and undercroft of the castle.
Thomas Domville died in 1721 and was succeeded by his son Sir Compton Domville, who laid out magnificent gardens at Templeogue House. All that remains of these ornamental arrangements is the Gothic Arch over the city watercourse.
1738 Henry, 4th Lord Santry, nephew of Sir Compton Domville is tried and founded guilty of the murder of a servant at Palmerstown Fair the previous year. Sir Compton threatens the city water supply, coming mainly from the city watercourse, unless Lord Santry is reprieved. This happens, although his nephew loses his rank and was required to leave Ireland.
1703 Spawell House was constructed in 1703 and was the premises of an Inn called 'The Domville Arms and Three Tuns.'It lies alongside the Tallaght Road, close to the Dodder River and is a less than a mile from Templeogue Village. It accommodated visitors to a chalybeate or ferruginous (containing iron salts) spa. Reportedly it lost its health giving properties by the mid-eighteenth century. Presently it is a farmhouse belonging to the Kennedy family, former owners of the adjacent Spawell Leisure Centre, where the spa water is available on tap.
c 1740 Cypress Grove House was built by a Mr Paine.
1761 Sir William Cooper, Master in Chancery and MP, second occupant of Cypress House dies.
Parliament who died here in 1761
1768 Sir Compton Domville dies. Templeogue House is inherited by his nephew Sir Charles Pocklington, who takes the name Domville.
c.1800 Kilvare (Cheeverstown House) was built.
The original Templeogue Bridge built.
1801 Templeogue Road built. This opens up access to Templeogue and Tallaght from Dublin City.
1820 Templeogue House was rebuilt in the form in which it exists today, excepting some further demolition and works in the late 1980s to better serve the intellectually challenged. Some of the walls and vaults beneathe the ancient castle were incorporated into the new design.
c.1843-45 Templeogue House was occupied by Charles Lever, the famous novelist.
1860 Terenure College, run to this day by the Carmelite Order, opened.
1888 The Dublin to Blessington Steam Tramway opened. It passed through Templeogue Village, where the principal station was situated. The 15 mile journey from Terenure to Blessington took 1 hour and 25 minutes. In 1895 the original line which ran as far as Blessington was extended to Poulaphouca. There were a number of fatal accidents over the years owing to the proximity of the tram line to the public road, so much so that the Templeogue Inn became known as 'The Morgue' because it was where the accident victims were brought.
1906 Spawell House comes into possession of the Kennedy family who still own it.
1909 Riverside Cottages off Templeogue Road constructed by Dublin County Council.
1922 Kilvare House opens as the Cheeverstown Convalescent Home for Little Children, later called Cheeverstown House Rehabilitation Centre. The original home of the society was in Cheeverstown Castle, Clondalkin, and it retained this name when it moved to Kilvare.
1932 The Dublin to Blessington Steam Tram ceased operations, due to the increasing use of private cars and new bus services from Dublin city.
1938 Kimmage Manor church opened, originally for the seminary only.
1953 Our Lady’s School established.
1960 St. Pius X church opened.
1966 Templeogue College opened.
1974 Austin Clarke died at his home at Templeogue Bridge.
1975 St. Jude the Apostle church opened.
1975 Bishop Galvin National School opened.
1975 St Mary’s RFC house opened.
1977 Templeogue United FC founded.
1978 St Jude’s GAA club established.
1979 Bishop Shanahan National School opened.
1983 Centre for Mentally Handicapped Children and Adults opened at Cheeverstown House, formerly Kilvare House. The name comes from a house in Clondalkin that was rented by the society dedicated to the rehabilitation of children which moved to Kilvare in 1922, and later changed its focus towards the intellectually challenged as the old chronic diseases of childhood were overcome through medical advances.
1985 Current Templeogue Bridge opened. Patrick Kavanagh's last home and the old eighteenth century bridge were both demolished to allow a wider road suitable for motorised traffic. Despite being named after Patrick Kavanagh, none of his relatives were invited to the opening.
1986 Tymon Park opened.
1986 Faugh’s GAA Hurling Club house opened.
1991 Dr George Otto Simms, retired to Templeogue with his wife Mercy in a career that culminated with the office of Anglican Archbishop of Armagh, dies.
1994 Western Parkway opened
2008 St Judes refurbished with coffee shop and other parochial facilities added.
2010 Planning permission granted to Wellington General Partners to develop a hotel at the Spawell complex.
2011 AIB appoints a receiver to run the Spawell Leisure Centre after owners WGP (Wellington General Partners) default on a 28 million Euro loan.
2010-11 St Pius X church is refurbished.